18 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 tablespoons butter, plus butter for greasing the soufflé dishes
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2-pound goat cheese
1 3/4 cups
6 eggs, separated.
1. Place the garlic in a saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and let simmer about
40 minutes or until tender. Drain.
2. Peel the garlic and put the cloves in a bowl. Mash well. There should be about one-quarter cup.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
4. Butter four individual soufflé dishes, each with a one-and-one-half-cup capacity. Chill.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk. When blended, add the
milk, stirring rapidly with the whisk. When thickened and smooth, remove from the heat.
6. Blend the cornstarch and water, and stir into the sauce. Return to the heat, stirring, and bring to
a simmer. Sprinkle with black pepper and cayenne. Add the cheese and garlic.
7. Beat the egg yolks and add them to the mixture. Beat vigorously and bring barely to the boil. Remove
from the heat and immediately scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl to prevent further cooking. Let
8. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff. Add one-third of the whites to the cheese mixture and
beat with a wire whisk. Add the remaining whites and fold them in, stirring from the bottom and
9. Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into the individual dishes. Place the dishes on a baking sheet in
the oven and bake 12 minutes until well puffed and brown.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »