-2 cups dried chickpeas, rinsed well and soaked overnight
-1 small yellow onion
-3 cloves garlic, divided
-1 bunch mint, washed, divided
-½ bunch cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
-1 egg (optional)
-1 piece bread
-2 pinches salt
-½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
-2 teaspoons ground cumin
-2 lemons, juiced, divided
-1 cup canola oil, for frying
-1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
-1 cup plain yogurt, Greek-style preferred
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 package pita or flatbread
1. Drain chickpeas and let air dry for 2 hours, or more.
2. Process chickpeas, onion, 2 cloves garlic, half bunch mint, cilantro, egg, bread, salt and pepper,
cumin, and half the lemon juice on low speed until a thick paste forms. No chunks or your falafel
balls will fall apart.
3. Form into 3-inch patties and let rest while tzatziki is made.
4. Rinse processor and pulse cucumber, yogurt, remaining mint, remaining lemon juice, and the last
garlic clove on low just until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat the canola oil in a high-sided, heavy-bottomed pan.
6. When hot, fry patties on medium high heat for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
7. Serve with warm pita or flatbread.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »