Huevos Walden (vegetarian)
– 1 ear corn
– ¼ cup minced sweet onion
– 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño (depending on your love of heat)
– 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
– 1 large (or two small) Hass avocados
– 1 large lime
– ½ cup buttermilk
– 1 cup refried beans (I use canned for this)
– 2 chiles chipotle en adobo, minced
– 4 corn tortillas
– 2 large eggs (to be honest, I buy eggs at the farmer’s market—orange yolks! Yum!)
– 1 tablespoon Oil for frying
– 1 pinch Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the corn away from the cob.
2. Mince the onions and jalapeño and dice half the large or one small avocado.
3. Chop the cilantro. Mix them all together, squeeze the lime juice over them, season with a pinch of salt, and stir gently.
1. Blend the other half of the large or one small avocado with the buttermilk and a pinch of salt. I like to smoosh it into a squeeze bottle but you can simply spoon it over later instead.
1. Mix the beans with the chiles en adobo — start with a half a chile and stir and taste until you get to your level of heat happiness. I add three, but I like the chile.
2. Gently warm the beans in a small saucepan while you do the rest.
3. Add enough oil to a skillet to coat the bottom. Warm over medium-high heat, then crisp the tortillas on both sides.
4. Set the tortillas on paper towels after they crisp—you can hold them in a warm oven if you’d like. You may need to add a bit more oil as you work through the tortillas.
5. Once the tortillas are ready, fry your eggs. I like sunny-side-up, but certainly if you prefer your eggs over easy or even poached, that will work too.
1. Lay one crisp tortilla on each plate, then divide the beans and spread an equal amount on each tortilla.
2. Add the second tortilla and top with an egg.
3. Dress each stack with avocado pico and the avocado crema.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »