Makes: 1 1/2 cups
– 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
– 80 grams raw walnuts, roughly chopped
– 1 teaspoon smoky paprika
– 1 teaspoon Aleppo or cayenne pepper
– 1 teaspoon dry-roasted cumin seeds
– 2 cloves of roasted or smoked garlic, smashed
– 2 red bell peppers, blackened, skinned, with veins and seeds removed
– 1 ½ tablespoons pomegranate molasses, plus extra to drizzle on top
– 20 milliliters olive oil
– 1 lemon, juiced
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. To a food processor, add the dry ingredients (bread, walnuts, paprika, pepper, and cumin seeds), followed by the garlic and cooked red peppers.
2. Blitz, stopping at regular intervals, until well combined. Scrape down the sides.
3. Add the liquids, then blitz again until well combined. Taste. You can increase the sweetness by adding more molasses, or amp up the sourness with a touch more lemon juice.
4. Salt to taste, and serve with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
Use muhammara as a dip, a spread, or in place of pizza sauce. You can even add some stock and a touch of yogurt to make it into a spicy soup.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »