-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1½ cups chopped onion
-1 cup chopped fennel
-1 cup chopped green bell pepper (no seeds, 1-inch pieces)
-2 cups sliced button mushrooms (1-inch pieces)
-1 tbsp. minced garlic
-½ cup white wine
-1 tsp. saffron
-2 cups sun dried tomatoes
-2 cups quartered zucchini (bite-size pieces)
-3 cups faro
-7 cups vegetable broth (+1 cup additional)
-1 tsp. sea salt
-1 cup fresh shelled or frozen peas
-10 green olives
-½ cup roasted red pepper, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1. Heat 15-inch-diameter paella pan. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to hot pan. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes.
2. Add fennel and sauté 1 minute. Add peppers and sauté 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms and garlic, sautéing 2-3 minutes.
3. Deglaze with ½ cup white wine. Add saffron. Stir in sun dried tomatoes, zucchini, and faro.
4. Add veggie broth and bring to a simmer.
5. Taste and season with salt. Stir occasionally, and add more liquid if necessary. (Faro can be
stirred more often then rice as it is a hearty grain.)
6. Cook for 30 minutes until liquid is almost evaporated.
7. Stir in fava peas, olives, and roasted red peppers.
8. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes until Faro is tender and doubled in size.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »