-2 cups shucked baby peas (or frozen peas, if necessary)
-2 cups snow pea pods
-2 cups orecchiette pasta
-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, divided
-1 tablespoon minced wild garlic (ramps) or 1 garlic clove, finely minced
-1 cup fresh mozzarella diced
-1 cup baby spinach (optional)
-2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
-2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
-Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set a colander in it.
2. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add peas and pea pods and boil until just
tender (about 60 to 90 seconds).
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peas to the ice water bath to shock the vegetables and keep them
from cooking—this keeps them fresh and green.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until tender but al dente, about 10 minutes (see package
instructions; this may vary).
5. Drain the pasta (do not rinse) and place it in a large mixing bowl.
6. Remove the colander of peas and pea pods from the water and set aside, lest they get waterlogged.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, and the minced ramps or garlic
clove to the bowl of warm pasta and stir to combine.
8. Let the pasta stand until it cools to room temperature.
9. Add the peas, mozzarella, spinach (if using) scallions, and mint to the pasta.
10. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and season with salt and
pepper to taste.
11. Mix well.
12. Serve at room temperature.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »