-½ cup packed ramp leaves
-1½ cups packed spinach leaves
-1/3 cup chopped green garlic, green part only, chop and reserve white part for risotto
-½ teaspoon salt
-1/3 – 1/2 cups roasted walnut oil
-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-½ cup minced scallions
-2 tablespoons reserved white parts of green garlic (chopped)
-2½ cups arborio or carnaroli rice
-½ cup dry white vermouth
-6 – 7 cups vegetable stock, at simmer
-1 cup asparagus, cut in 1/2″ pieces on slant, blanched 2 minutes then shocked in ice water, tips
-1 cup shelled peas
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-1 cup finely grated parmesan
-Salt & pepper
1. For the pesto:
Process everything except oil until finely chopped. Slowly drizzle oil in while
machine is running until you have a rough paste. Set aside.
2. For risotto:
Heat the olive oil in a 3-4 quart pot over medium heat.
3. Cook scallions and garlic together until translucent, stirring often.
4. Add rice, stir to coat and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Pour wine into pot and stir well until absorbed.
6. Add ½ cup hot stock and healthy pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until stock is absorbed
into rice. Add another ½ cup stock and stir.
7. Add asparagus stem pieces and peas and stir.
8. Allow stock to be absorbed before adding more stock in ½ cup increments. Stir frequently.
9. Taste after about 15 minutes. You want the rice to be al dente but creamy.
10. Keep adding small amounts of stock, stirring frequently and tasting for doneness. This will take
around 20-25 minutes.
11. Remove pot from heat and quickly stir in ramp pesto.
12. Add butter and continue to stir quickly until melted; then mix in 1/2 cup cheese.
13. Fold in reserved asparagus tips. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
14. Serve immediately, topped with remaining cheese.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »