-2 teaspoons olive oil
-1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 4 cups)
-1 apple, cored, peeled, and diced
-2 leeks, white part only, washed and sliced
-1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
-½ stalk celery, finely chopped
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
-2 teaspoons curry powder
-4 cups basic Vegetable Stock
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon brown sugar
-2 teaspoons sea salt, or more to taste
-Thinly sliced chives
-Thin strips of orange zest (optional)
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the squash, apple, leeks, carrot,
celery, and basil and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened; do not brown.
2. Add the curry and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the stock, water, brown sugar, and
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft.
4. Cool for 30 minutes, then, in a blender or in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until absolutely
5. Reheat and taste for seasoning, adding salt if needed. Serve very hot, with a sprinkling of chives
and the orange and zest, if desired.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »