For pickled beets and carrots:
-1 cup apple cider vinegar
-½ cup sugar
-1 medium red beet, peeled and cut into matchsticks
-1 carrot, peeled and cut in to matchsticks
-1 bay leaf
-½ cinnamon stick
-1 tablespoon red chile flakes
For browned shallots:
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
-2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
-¼ teaspoon salt
-1 – 1 ½ pounds of shrimp
-¼ cup of olive oil
-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
-1 clove of garlic, minced
-½ teaspoon of salt
-½ cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
-4 tablespoons of fish sauce
-6 tablespoons of brown sugar
-1 teaspoon of red chile flakes
For lettuce bowl:
-8 ounces of rice noodles
-1 cup of fresh mint
-1 cup fresh cilantro
-4 cups chopped romaine (about half a head)
To make pickled beets and carrots:
1. Heat apple cider vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Place beets, carrots, and all of the aromatics in a medium-sized glass bowl and set aside.
3. Once apple cider vinegar is just boiling and all of the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture over
beets and carrots and set aside until ready to use, allowing them to quick-pickle.
To make browned shallots:
1. Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat (oil should cover the bottom of the pan,
add more if needed).
2. Once heated, add shallots and salt, stirring to coat evenly.
3. Cook and stir shallots until they begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes or until they are slightly
brown. You want them to develop a rich brown color and get crispy, so let them sit on the heat
without disturbing, another 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Once shallots are deeply brown and crispy, remove from the sauté pan, place on a small plate, and
set aside to cool.
To prepare shrimp:
1. Pre-heat the grill to medium to high heat.
2. Then wash, peel and de-vein shrimp and place in a large bowl.Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and
salt to shrimp, then mix with your hands, making sure to coat shrimp.
3. Place shrimp on the grill and cook for approximately three minutes on each side. Place on a plate
To prepare noodles:
1. Set a large sauce pan full of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, turn on the broiler to high.
3. Combine honey and lime juice in a small bowl and stir until incorporated.
4. Once water is boiling, remove pot from heat, drop in rice noodles and cook according to instructions
on the package, about 5 minutes for most thin rice-noodles until just soft.
5. Drain and rinse noodles under cool water, which helps prevent them from sticking.
To make vinaigrette:
1. Combine lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and red chili flakes in a small bowl and stir until
brown sugar is dissolved.
2. Divide into four equal portions and place each in a small bowl or jar.
To compose lettuce bowls:
1. Add equal portions of the rice noodles to four bowls.
2. Add 1 cup of lettuce and ¼ cup of fresh mint and cilantro to each bowl.
3. Place a forkful of pickled beets and carrots and a pinch of burned shallots on top.
4. Finally, place 2-3 grilled shrimp in each bowl.
5. Serve with a side of vinaigrette.
Receive exclusive offers, specials and getaway ideas. Click Here »